9.16.2011

Obama: I'd Like To Work My Way Around Congress


Facing growing opposition to his economic proposals and dimming prospects that Congress will pass other parts of his agenda, President Obamagroup in Washington Wednesday that when it comes to the issue of immigration, "I'd like to work my way around Congress."As I mentioned when I was at La Raza a few weeks back, I wish I had a magic wand and could makethis all happen on my own," Obamaof the Congressional Hispanic Caucus "There aretimes where I'd like to work my way around Congress."As he continuedObama conceded that "we've got laws on the books that have to be upheldBut hequickly added there are different ways to uphold the laws on the books. "You know as well as anyonethat…how we enforce those laws is also importantLast month, the administrationmade a major, unilateral change in immigration law enforcement when it announced that the government will not initiate deportation proceedings against illegal immigrants unless they havecommitted serious crimes. To critics, Obama had indeed worked his way around CongressTo theHispanic Caucus, his new policy willcriminals who endanger our communities, not students trying to achieve the American dream."The bigger problem is that sort of unilateral enforcementonlygoes so far. "We live in a democracy, and at the end of the day, I can't do this all by myself underour democratic system"If we're going to do big thingswhether it’s passing this jobs billor comprehensive immigration reformwe're going to have to get Congress to act."

No comments:

Post a Comment